Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Fast Food Nation


Fast Food Nation, by Eric Schlosser, is a very interesting book that gives a unique perspective on fast food. It takes you on a journey through the beginnings of fast food, what it is today, and everything in between. I chose to read this book because I like to eat and I wanted to learn more about what is in fast food and what makes fast food different than regular food. I learned that fast food originated in the western part of the country. Society has changed a lot because of fast food. Before fast food, 75% of the average American's food was bought in grocery stores. Now only 50% is.

I also learned that the farmers who raise animals for meat processors don't make a lot of money because the processors cheat them out of it. This doesn't surprise me at all because if you could get more money from people who couldn't do anything about it, wouldn't you do it? Also, raising animals for processors was actually a desirable job at one point. Now it pays almost nothing. In addition to not geting paid much, they don't even have the power to negotiate what small amount of money they're getting from the processors. I would definitely not want this job!

This book made me think of how our nation has changed so much because of fast food. Eric Schlosser gave me a new view of fast food and how it has changed our economy, our living style, and so much more. He also talked about the restaurant chains and how the people who buy the restaurants have about a 50% chance of becoming successful. If you want to know more about these topics, you should read this book. I would reccommend it to anyone who would like to learn more about whats in their hamburger, and why their fries taste good. Also, if you would like to know if your chicken nuggets are even chicken, read this book. This was a very good book, and I liked it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment